Depression is a debilitating condition that can prevent you from enjoying your daily life.If you are experiencing feelings of overwhelming sadness, loneliness, and uselessness, and cannot imagine that things will improve, then you may suffer from depression.If you want to know how to overcome your depression and get on with your life again, follow the steps below.
Recognize why you are suffering from depression: To improve your mental health first of all you have to determine which things are causing illness to your mental health and also to determine whether you are going through depression or not.
Symptoms of Having Depression:
Below I have listed some of the symptoms of having depression:
- To feel worthless, powerless, and guilty without knowing why.
- You feel nothing will ever be better in your life.
- It’s hard for you to sleep and get up in the morning.
- You stay irritable for no reason.
- You don’t feel the joy of doing the things that made you happy anymore.
- You lost your appetite or began overeating and cannot stop.
- You always want to be lonely than have fun with your friends and loved ones.
- You feel bad and you want to get away from home or the neighborhood to a place where no one knows you.
- You’re starting to get negative thoughts and suicidal thoughts.
If you are suffering from the above symptoms you need to seek help.
of Having Depression:
Now the important thing is why you are suffering from the above symptoms and probably the answer is:
- You are suffering from hormonal imbalance for instance; thyroid imbalance causes depression.
- Your environmental factors may be one of the causes of your depression.
- Your financial problems also cause bad effects on your mental health.
- You may have an addiction to drugs and alcohol.
- You may also be suffering from a toxic relationship that is constantly affecting your mental health.
- A devastating break-up in your relationship.
- And the last one but not the least is an unrewarding career.
How to deal with Depression:
Now let’s discuss the ways through which we can come through our depression.
- By improving your life by eliminating toxic relationships of your life.
- Maintain your health by doing regular exercise for at least 30 minutes a day or you can do a walk/jog in the morning.
- You can also join a Jim with your friend and spend some time doing a workout.
- You can have a company with your friends as they help you on your bad days and divert your mind from overthinking r having some bad thoughts.
- You can quit your job if you feel that it is not good for your mental health and start doing some work that gives you pleasure.
- You can find a new passion for example: learning a foreign language.
- You can meditate by relaxing your mind.
- Improve your diet with vegetables and fruits.
- By improving your sleeping habits.
- You can start thinking positively about every thing that happens in your life.
- You can improve your appearance which can give you confidence and a positive vibe.
How to Deal With Depression in College
Here are some guidelines on how you can be able to fight your depression in college. A college student can also suffer from depression due to the above reasons and they can also fight it in the following ways:
- By releasing their burden of studies and extra classes.
- By making a weakly schedule of their co-curricular and curricular activities so they have an equal time of enjoying their life as well with their studies.
- By meditating
- They can also do counseling with their campus counselor.
- They can do regular exercise in the morning to keep their mind and thoughts fresh.
Books to deal with depression
Some books are suggested below to deal with depression:
- The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression by Andrew Solomon.
This book is about anxiety and depression and helps people to restore their strength to live a better life.
- Self-Compassion: The proven power of being kind to yourself by Kristin Neff.
This book is about the feelings of failure that people feel. By reading this book people can accept their flaws and failures and try to improve them and be confident about them.
- Feeling good: The new mood therapy by David Burns.
This book is about anxiety and depression. It is full of exercises to make you feel good. It has been a fantastic job done by David Burns.
- The Happiness Trap: How to stop struggling and start living by Russ Harris.
The best pop psychology books bring some humor and humanity to the subject, and this is one of the few books that pull that off well.
How to come out of depression without medication
Many people deal with their depression with anti-depressant drugs and different electroconvulsive therapy but there is a large community who can’t afford such expensive therapies so the following methods are used to deal with their depression:
- Making them sleep longer so they can’t have negative thoughts.
- Have more vitamin D.
- With meditation in the morning.
- Let ’em eat more.
- Adding greenery to the surroundings.
- Listening to music can also help in the treatment of depression.
Seerat Noor is a passionate writer, blogger and digital marketing enthusiast. She is a medical student and loves writing about well being, self care, health and fitness, parenting, lifestyle and everything that lets her feel good to share with the readers. Please follow our blog to read more posts from this author.